Kristen is dedicated to providing legal counsel that is thorough, strategic, and practical. For almost 15 years, she has advised public charities, professional and trade associations, supporting organizations, private foundations, and others on a broad array of legal matters. Her practice focuses on formation, governance, tax-exempt status and compliance, contract review and negotiation, grantmaking, sponsorships and cause marketing, membership matters, chapters and affiliates.
Kristen’s experience as in-house counsel at a national nonprofit and as manager of a grant program give her a unique lens into the nonprofit sector and the needs of nonprofit clients.
Kristen's commitment to advocacy and service is both professional and personal. She lives out those values at Community First Village, a master-planned, permanent housing community for the formerly homeless in Austin, Texas, where she supports the community farm program and lives as an intentional neighbor.
- J.D., University of Texas at Austin, School of Law, 2003
- B.A., magna cum laude, Trinity University, 1999
- Attorney, Mendrygal Law, PLLC (2017-Present)
- Owner, Law Firm of Kristen E. Sitchler (2015-2017)
- General Counsel & Grant Program Manager, FoodCorps (2011-2015)
- Senior Associate, Nonprofit Organizations Practice, Venable, LLP (2007-2011)
- Associate, Estate & Charitable Planning, Giordani, Schurig, Beckett & Tackett (2005-2006)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Edward C. Prado, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (2003-2005)
- Mobile Loaves & Fishes, Intentional Resident & Farm Assistant (2017-Present)
- SAFE Alliance, Survivor Advocate (2015-2017)
- Urban Roots, Community Advisory Committee Member (2013-2016)
- DC Greens, Board Member (2010-2013)