Genevra brings an insider’s perspective to her client’s issues. Prior to entering private practice, she was the sole in-house attorney for a prominent community foundation in Dallas, Texas, where she managed all issues related to legal compliance, board governance, and risk management. While in this role, she trained in-house staff, worked with ultra-high-net-worth donors, and consulted internal stakeholders on development and planned giving topics.
Genevra’s law practice focuses exclusively on the representation of tax-exempt organizations on a wide range of matters including governance, tax compliance, endowments, executive compensation, complex gifts, fiscal sponsorship structures, intellectual property issues, and employment matters. She has counseled private foundations, public charities, supporting organizations, community foundations, churches, and other religious organizations on a wide range of issues. Genevra has been selected to the Texas Super Lawyers list (a Thompson Reuters publication) (2022-23) and in The Best Lawyers in America® for Non-profit / Charities Law (2024).
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Genevra worked in development in both for-profit and non-profit institutions, specializing in fundraising-related data evaluation and modeling.
- J.D., cum laude, SMU Dedman School of Law, 2010
- B.B.A., cum laude, University of Iowa, 2001
- Senior Counsel, Mendrygal Law, PLLC (2016-Present)
- Associate, Weycer, Kaplan, Pulaski & Zuber, P.C. (2014-2016)
- Associate Legal Counsel, The Dallas Foundation (2011-2014)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Justice Douglas S. Lang, Fifth Court of Appeals of Texas (2010-2011)
- Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® list for Non-profit/Charities Law (2024)
- Inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers (2022 - 2023) and Rising Stars for Nonprofit Organizations (2020)
- Communities Foundation of Texas Advisory Council (2018-Present)
- TEGE Exempt Organizations Council (2020-Present)
- Texas Bar CLE Governance of Nonprofit Organizations Conference, Planning Committee (2015, 2023)
- Texas Bar College (2021-Present)
- Dallas Council of Charitable Gift Planners (formerly the Partnership for Philanthropic Planning, North Texas Chapter) Board of Directors (2013-2016)
- Texas Bar CLE Governance of Nonprofit Organizations Conference, Planning Committee (2015)
- The Dallas Foundation, Advisory Council (2014-2016)
- The Dallas Foundation, Women’s Philanthropy Institute (2019-2020)
- Dallas Bar Nonprofit Study Group (2012-Present)
- State Bar of Texas, Taxation Section Member (2014-Present)
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation Member (2019-Present); Section of Business Law Member (2021 – Present)
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Member (2011-2016)
- Dallas Estate Planning Council, Member (2012-2016)
- Girl Scouts of North East Texas, Volunteer (2013-Present)
- Maharishi School, Advisory Director (2017-2019); Executive Committee Member (2018-2020); Development Committee (Chair 2018-2020; Member 2018-2020)
- Armstrong-Bradfield Preschool Association Member (2013-Present); Home Tour Committee (2013)
- Compliance 101: Texas State Tax & Regulatory Compliance for NFPs, Lane Gorman Trubitt Growth& Gratitude: November NFP Event, November 7, 2023
- “Nonprofit Risk Management” Forvis and TXCPA Houston Non-profit Seminar, October 25, 2023 (co-presenter)
- “Endowment Funds from a Legal Perspective: Structure, Rules, and Development Considerations” Chicago Bar Association Exempt Organizations Committee, October 12, 2023
- "Endowment Funds from a Legal Perspective” Corpus Christi Estate Planning Council, September 21, 2023
- “Building and Maintaining the Client Relationship” State Bar of Texas 21st Annual Governance of Nonprofit Organizations Course, September 1, 2023
- “501(c) What? The Wide World of Tax-Exempt Organizations Beyond 501(c)(3)” 2023 TXCPA Nonprofit Organizations Conference, May 23, 2023
- “So You Want To Set up a Charity? Legal Structures and Tax Considerations” Corpus Christi Estate Planning Council, May 12, 2023
- “Fiscal Sponsorship: Doing it Right for the Right Reasons,” 2022 TXCPA Nonprofit Organizations Conference, May 23, 2022 (co-presenter)
- “What Every Director Needs to Know about IRS Form 990,” UT Dallas Executive Certificate in Nonprofit Governance, March 2, 2022 and October 6, 2022.
- “Nonprofit Compliance 101,” Power Tools for Nonprofits Conference 2021, CenterPoint Energy, United Way of Greater Houston, and UH Downtown, November 2021
- “Fiscal Sponsorships,” State Bar of Texas 19th Annual Governance of Nonprofit Organizations Conference, August 2021
- “Nonprofit Compliance 101,” Nonprofit Law Institute, United Way Nonprofit Connection and Houston Young Lawyers Association, March 2021 (co-presenter)
- “Texas State Tax and Regulatory Compliance for Nonprofits: Legal Perspective,” 2020 Nonprofit Organizations Conference (TXCPA), May 2020 (co-presenter)
- “Creating Efficiencies and Sustainability for Future Growth in the Non-Profit Sector” Capital One, October 2019 (panelist)
- “Compliance 101” It’s Lonely at the Top, May 2019 (co-presenter)
- “Asked and Answered: Nonprofits 101” Dallas Bar Nonprofit Group, March 2017 (co-presenter)
- “Gift Acceptance Policy Bootcamp” Dallas Council of Charitable Gift Planners (formerly the Partnership for Philanthropic Planning – North Texas Chapter), December 2015
- “New Overtime Rules for Employees: Complying with the FLSA in 2015 and Beyond,” The Church Network Dallas Chapter, November 2015
- “Using Community Foundations” Alliance for Greater Works Ultimate Financial and Legal Conference, October 2015
- “Legal and Fiduciary Responsibilities” Center for Nonprofit Management Board Member Bootcamp, March 2015 (co-presenter)
- “Launching a 501(c)(3) Webinar” Alliance for Greater Works, March 2015 (co-presenter)
- “Donee Beware” Partnership for Philanthropic Planning – North Texas Chapter, February 2015 (co-presenter)
- “Gift Planning on the Run: Establishing the Program” Partnership for Philanthropic Planning – North Texas Chapter, November 2014 (co-presenter)
- “Gifts with Hair” Association of Fundraising Professionals Philanthropy in Action Conference, June 2014 (co-presenter)
- “The Role of a Community Foundation” Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants Nonprofit Organizations Conference, May 2014 (co-presenter)
- “Fiscal Sponsorship Overview” Dallas Bar Association Nonprofit Group, November 2013
- “Demystifying Private Company Valuation” Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement-Southwest Conference Dallas, May 2009
- “Corporate Philanthropy: The Charity’s Point of View” Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, February 2015 (co-author with Jonathan Blum)
- “Survey of Recent Mandamus Decisions of the Texas Supreme Court,” 64 SMU L. REV. 393 (2011) (co-author with The Honorable Justice Douglas Lang and Pamela S. Kohler)
"The Mendrygal Law team deftly navigated us through the transition from for-profit to non-profit. Our 1023 application was detailed with extensive exhibits to address any IRS questions before asked. We received our 501(c)(3) status with no questions or challenges, which is a testament to the thoroughness and experience of Danika and her entire team."
-Peter Poulides, Executive Director, Dallas Center for Photography
"When the Student Housing Foundation realized the time had come for a transition, we reached out to Genevra and her team. Their approach in making sure we understood every step of the process was a welcome relief. Genevra’s professionalism, patience, and guidance is why our Board enjoyed working with her, Danika, and the rest of the team. Genevra made us feel like a top priority and cared about what was best for us. We really appreciated what she did in getting the job done."
- Brenda McDonald, President, CCCCDF Student Housing Foundation
"Genevra did an amazing job listening to a very unique set of complex factors and then helping us think through how to strategically structure our new parent-teacher organization to address those factors. She went above and beyond and I am confident that our new organization is set up for success!"
- Maryjane Bonfield, President, Michael M. Boone Elementary Parent-Teacher Organization
"Danika and Genevra have been extremely helpful in guiding our PTA through a complex legal issue. They are clearly experts in the area of non-profit law. As an attorney myself, I really appreciate their excellent client service. Whenever we have a question, Genevra has been quick to respond with answers, suggestions, and meaningful legal advice."
- Christine Palmer, Executive Board member, McCulloch Intermediate School and Highland Park Middle School Parent Teacher Association