Sujata is dedicated to serving the nonprofit and tax-exempt sector with both practical and strategic counsel. She is an experienced transactional attorney who also has a background in nonprofit consulting and public policy, and is driven by a passion for helping community institutions thrive. Her practice focuses on organizational formation, governance matters, compliance issues, and contract review.
Sujata’s approach to client and community relationships is informed by her experiences as an attorney, as an independent consultant, and as an active volunteer herself in her community. As a consultant who has worked with both newly formed grassroots groups, as well as stalwarts with an established history and identity, she has advised on grant-writing, community partnerships, strategic planning, and board development and management. Her public policy work includes serving in the Office of Health Policy in the administration of Kentucky Governor Steven Beshear. As a transactional attorney, she has supported clients in an outside general counsel role, led complex domestic and international finance transactions, worked on municipal bond issuances, and been willing and able to develop new areas of expertise.
Sujata is committed to helping her clients grow and thrive so they can do what they do best—change communities and lives for the better.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2003
- M.Sc., Fulbright Scholar, London School of Economics, 1999
- A.B., summa cum laude, Princeton University, 1998
- Mendrygal Law, PLLC (2020-Present)
- SmithAmundsen LLC (2020)
- Ice Miller LLP (2018-2019)
- Office of Health Policy, Kentucky Cabinet for Health & Family Services (2015)
- Independent Nonprofit Consultant (2012-2015)
- Mayer Brown LLP (2003-2008)
- Hoosier Women Forward, Board Member (2019-Present)
- The Orchard School, Board Member (2020-Present); Diversity Committee Member (2016-Present)
- Indy Shakti Network, Founder (2020)
- Better Indiana PAC, Chair (2020); Executive Committee Member (2017-2019)
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association (Indiana Chapter), Member (2016-Present)
- Princeton Alumni Association of Indiana, Member (2016-Present)
- Harvard Club of Indiana, Member (2019-Present)
- Women’s Fund of Central Indiana, OPTIONS19 Class Member (2018-2019)
- Women4Change Indiana, Founding Board Member (2017-2019)
- Alliance Française Indianapolis, Member (2019-Present)
- South Asian Bar Association, Member (2017-Present)
- Indiana-India Business Council, Member (2018-Present)
- Wheeler Mission – Center for Women and Children, Volunteer (2018-Present)
- Hindu Temple of Central Indiana, Member & Volunteer (2016-Present)
- Precinct Chairperson, Hamilton County, Indiana (2018-Present)
- “State of Indiana Force Majeure Law Compendium (during COVID-19 pandemic),” USLaw Network, Inc. (May 2020), available at https://www.uslaw.org/files/Compendiums2020/COVID19_ForceMajeure_2020/Indiana_USLAW_Compendium_COVID19_Force_Majeure_2020.pdf.
- Illinois (2003-Present)
- Indiana (2017-Present)
- English (native)
- Gujarati (fluent)
- Hindi (basic)
- French (basic)
"Mendrygal Law is THE go-to resource for all things related to nonprofit law and compliance. Danika and her team have mastered the unique combination of technical acumen and realistic understanding of what nonprofits can manage. They are a pleasure to work with and I highly recommend them to anyone in the nonprofit field."
-Tanya McDonald, Vice-Chair, United to Learn, and Co-Founder, It’s Lonely at the Top!