Kristen is dedicated to providing legal counsel that is thorough, strategic, and practical. For nearly 15 years, she has advised public charities, professional societies and trade associations, supporting organizations, private foundations, and others on a broad array of legal matters. Her practice focuses on formation, governance, tax-exempt status and compliance, contract review and negotiation, risk management, grants, sponsorships and cause marketing, fundraising, membership matters, chapters, and affiliates.
The legal advice that Kristen provides is grounded in experience. During her career, Kristen has served as in-house counsel at a national nonprofit, worked on the nonprofit team of a nationally recognized law firm, helped design and manage a grant program, and provided direct service to nonprofit beneficiaries in the community. This diverse background gives her a unique lens into the nonprofit sector and the needs of nonprofit clients.
Kristen’s commitment to advocacy and service is both personal and professional. She lives out those values at Community First Village, a permanent housing community for the formerly homeless in Austin, Texas, where she helps to coordinate the community farm program.
- J.D., University of Texas at Austin, School of Law, 2003
- B.A., magna cum laude, Trinity University, 1999
- Attorney, Mendrygal Law, PLLC (2017-Present)
- Owner, Law Firm of Kristen E. Sitchler (2015-2017)
- General Counsel & Grant Program Manager, FoodCorps (2011-2015)
- Senior Associate, Nonprofit Organizations Practice, Venable, LLP (2007-2011)
- Associate, Estate & Charitable Planning, Giordani, Schurig, Beckett & Tackett (2005-2006)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Edward C. Prado, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (2003-2005)
• Mobile Loaves & Fishes, Farm Coordinator (2017-Present)
• SAFE Alliance, Survivor Advocate (2015-2017)
• Urban Roots, Community Advisory Committee Member (2013-2016)
• DC Greens, Board Member (2010-2013)