Ms. Williams’ law practice focuses exclusively on the representation of tax-exempt organizations on a wide range of matters including governance, tax compliance, endowments, complex gifts, fiscal sponsorship structures, intellectual property issues, employment, and ERISA matters. She has counseled private foundations, public charities, supporting organizations, community foundations, churches, and other religious organizations on a wide range of issues. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Ms. Williams worked in development in both for-profit and non-profit institutions, specializing in data evaluation and modeling.
- J.D., cum laude, SMU Dedman School of Law, 2010
- B.B.A., cum laude, University of Iowa, 2001
- Attorney, Mendrygal Law, PLLC (2016-Present)
- Associate, Weycer, Kaplan, Pulaski & Zuber, P.C. (2014-2016)
- Associate Legal Counsel, The Dallas Foundation (2011-2014)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Justice Douglas S. Lang, Fifth Court of Appeals of Texas (2010-2011)
- Partnership for Philanthropic Planning, North Texas Chapter Board of Directors (2013-2016)
- Texas Bar CLE Governance of Nonprofit Organizations Conference, Planning Committee (2015)
- State Bar of Texas, Taxation Section Member (2014–present)
- Dallas Bar Nonprofit Study Group (2012-present)
- The Dallas Foundation, Advisory Council (2014-2016)
- Girl Scouts of North East Texas, Volunteer (2013-present)
- Maharishi School, Advisory Director (2017-present); Executive Committee Member (2018-present); Development Committee Chair (2018-present)
- “Asked and Answered: Nonprofits 101” Dallas Bar Nonprofit Group, March 2017 (co-presenter)
- “Gift Acceptance Policy Bootcamp” Partnership for Philanthropic Planning – North Texas Chapter, December 2015
- “New Overtime Rules for Employees: Complying with the FLSA in 2015 and Beyond,” The Church Network Dallas Chapter, November 2015
- “Using Community Foundations” Alliance for Greater Works Ultimate Financial and Legal Conference, October 2015
- “Legal and Fiduciary Responsibilities” Center for Nonprofit Management Board Member Bootcamp, March 2015 (co-presenter)
- “Launching a 501(c)(3) Webinar” Alliance for Greater Works, March 2015 (co-presenter)
- “Donee Beware” Partnership for Philanthropic Planning – North Texas Chapter, February 2015 (co-presenter)
- “Gift Planning on the Run: Establishing the Program” Partnership for Philanthropic Planning – North Texas Chapter, November 2014 (co-presenter)
- “Gifts with Hair” Association of Fundraising Professionals Philanthropy in Action Conference, June 2014 (co-presenter)
- “The Role of a Community Foundation” Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants Nonprofit Organizations Conference, May 2014 (co-presenter)
- “Fiscal Sponsorship Overview” Dallas Bar Association Nonprofit Group, November 2013
- “Demystifying Private Company Valuation” Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement-Southwest Conference Dallas, May 2009
- “Corporate Philanthropy: The Charity’s Point of View” Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, February 2015 (co-author with Jonathan Blum)
- “Survey of Recent Mandamus Decisions of the Texas Supreme Court,” 64 SMU L. REV. 393 (2011) (co-author with The Honorable Justice Douglas Lang and Pamela S. Kohler)
- “GPS for the Sky: A Survey of Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) and Its Implementation in the United States” 74 J. AIR L. & COM. 473 (2009)
- “Gays in the Military – The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Fails to Subject ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ to a Strict Scrutiny Test: Witt v. Department of the Air Force” 74 J. AIR L. & COM. 143, 148 (2009)
"The Mendrygal Law team deftly navigated us through the transition from for-profit to non-profit. Our 1023 application was detailed with extensive exhibits to address any IRS questions before asked. We received our 501(c)(3) status with no questions or challenges, which is a testament to the thoroughness and experience of Danika and her entire team."
-Peter Poulides, Executive Director, Dallas Center for Photography
"When the Student Housing Foundation realized the time had come for a transition, we reached out to Genevra and her team. Their approach in making sure we understood every step of the process was a welcome relief. Genevra’s professionalism, patience, and guidance is why our Board enjoyed working with her, Danika, and the rest of the team. Genevra made us feel like a top priority and cared about what was best for us. We really appreciated what she did in getting the job done."
- Brenda McDonald, President, CCCCDF Student Housing Foundation
"Genevra did an amazing job listening to a very unique set of complex factors and then helping us think through how to strategically structure our new parent-teacher organization to address those factors. She went above and beyond and I am confident that our new organization is set up for success!"
- Maryjane Bonfield, President, Michael M. Boone Elementary Parent-Teacher Organization
"Danika and Genevra have been extremely helpful in guiding our PTA through a complex legal issue. They are clearly experts in the area of non-profit law. As an attorney myself, I really appreciate their excellent client service. Whenever we have a question, Genevra has been quick to respond with answers, suggestions, and meaningful legal advice."
- Christine Palmer, Executive Board member, McCulloch Intermediate School and Highland Park Middle School Parent Teacher Association